Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Feb 21st. 2015 - Stadium Series



Now it's time for the post that few are around to read and even fewer are going to want read tomorrow after they look at their account balances.  It's your officially unofficial, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly!  Sharks lost in an uneven effort at Levis Stadium and your pal Ian is going to tell you how he saw it.

The Good:  I thought overall the game went off well enough I don't think the ice looked overly bad at any point in the game, the puck moved around mostly like one would expect it too at an NHL game.  The Sharks put together their most consistent effort in the 2nd period now they didn't score but they put a ton of pucks on the net I thought they hit well and carried a momentum from the last five minutes from the 1st period. The Penalty Kill was good enough keeping the Kings power play off the board.  Although off to a slow start the sharks did best the Kings in the faceoff circle winning many important draws.

The Bad: Power play is all dried up again.  I shudder to think offensively at least where we would be without Brent Burns because he seems to always find the back of the net when the Sharks are sucking sand.  I didn't care for the lineup tonight, I'd have much rather a Tierney or Goodrow in over Scott the Sharks have been better when the bottom six can get things going I thought Scott was more of an anchor on his line mates than a help although I acknowledge the sweet pass he made.  The effort was inconsistent at best, more details in the ugly and the Sharks turned over the puck 18 times.

The Ugly: The Sharks missed the first 15 minutes of the 1st period, the Kings had won seven straight face offs before the Sharks had won their first it is frankly amazing that the score was tied coming out of that 1st period.  A lot of credit has to go to Antti Niemi, and I fought with myself a lot over if I was going to put Nemo as bad or ugly and I decided Ugly.  I'm so sick of the soft ass goals.  Yes a defensive breakdown led to the goal but it's not like the puck was 10 feet away... the shot was taken from 25 feet away with no traffic that is a save an NHL goalie should make every damn time.  Oh and if you are going to reply with "I'd like to see you make that save" I'm not the guy collecting millions of dollars to do it so it's irrelevant if I can make it or not. I have a defended Nemo a ton this year but right now I'm nearing the end of my rope with him and no I don't like Stalock any better than I did a week ago.

Final Thoughts: First I was surprised how well received my Breaking It Down preview post was received today and appreciate all the reads and feedback I honestly didn't know how it was going to be judged and I'm glad that it was overall good.  Second I hope for all you guys that actually went to the game that despite the outcome you feel like you got your monies worth. From TV it's kind of neat-ish but it's really just another game. Finally the Sharks gave up a very important 2 points and I'm starting to feel a genuine sap of my optimism that this is even a playoff team now, I know the standings are close and there are a lot of games left to play but with these uneven effort games I can't even begin to put my finger on what the problem with this team is and have no idea how you fix it.  I'm honestly almost to the point where if they traded Niemi tomorrow I don't know if I raise a fuss like I would have 5 hours ago.  It's such a frustrating time to be a fan, I'm not going anywhere obviously but I'm not going to sit here drinking my teal cool-aid telling you how awesome everything is right now.

Remember if you have a question you would like me to answer in the Breaking It Down blog please e-mail me at ian.blogs.sharks@gmail.com, unless you ask I will not post who asked the question so don't worry about how stupid you think the question may be because to me there is no such thing.


If you want to read previous blogs please check out http://ianblogssharks.blogspot.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment